PhD, Experimental Pathology – Epidemiology, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1987
MS, Natural Sciences – Epidemiology, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1979
BA, Psychology, Cum Laude, University of Notre Dame; Notre Dame, Indiana, 1974
Dr. Giovino was Principal Investigator of two Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) funded studies; the first is a survey on national patterns of youth smoking cessation and the second is a national survey of US adult smokers to assess “hardcore” smoking and interest in tobacco harm reduction. He is a Co-Investigator on two R01’s funding the International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Project and on another NIH grant on Low-Ignition Propensity Cigarette Legislation. He Chairs the Questionnaire Review Committee and is a member of the Analysis Review Committee of the Global Adult Tobacco Survey. Giovino was one of the chairs of the National Tobacco Monitoring, Research, and Evaluation Workshop, which was co-sponsored by the National Cancer Institute, American Legacy Foundation, CDC, and RWJF. He recently received the Craig Ryder Memorial Award from the New York State Department of Health, the Joseph W. Cullen Memorial Award from the American Society of Preventive Oncology, an Innovators Combating Substance Abuse Award from RWJF, the Doll/Wynder Award for research in tobacco epidemiology from the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, and the CDC’s Charles C. Shepard Science Award for Outstanding Scientific Contribution to Public Health. For most of his ten years of service at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Giovino served as the Chief of the Epidemiology Branch in the Office on Smoking and Health. He subsequently served as Senior Research Scientist at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York.
Tobacco Use and Cessation. Population research on patterns, determinants and control of tobacco use in adolescents and adults, using state, national and international surveys. “Hardening” of the population and “hard-core” smoking. Tobacco harm reduction. Suboptimal nutrition as a risk factor for the development and maintenance of nicotine addiction. Adverse childhood experiences and nicotine dependence and smoking cessation.
- Giovino GA, Chaloupka FJ, Hartman AM, Gerlach Joyce K, Chriqui J, Orleans CT, Wende K, Tworek C, Barker D, Gibson JT, Yang J, Hinkel J, Cummings KM, Hyland A, Fix B, Paloma M, Larkin M. Cigarette smoking prevalence and policies in the 50 states: an era of change – the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation ImpacTeen Tobacco Chart Book. Buffalo, NY: University at Buffalo, State University of New York, 2009. Available online at: http://www.impacteen.org/statetobaccodata/chartbook_final060409.pdf.
- Giovino GA, Biener L, Hartman AM, Marcus SE, Schooley MW, Pechacek TF, Vallone D. Monitoring the tobacco use epidemic I. Overview: Optimizing measurement to facilitate change. Preventive Medicine 2009;48:S4-S10.
- Klein SM, Giovino GA, Barker DC, Tworek C, Cummings KM, O’Connor RJ, Kozlowski LK. Use of Flavored Cigarettes among Older Adolescent and Adult Smokers: United States, 2004. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2008;10(7):1209-1214.
- Kozlowski LT, Dollar KM, Giovino GA. Cigar/cigarillo surveillance: limitations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture system. American Journal of Preventive Medicine2008;34(5):424-426.
- Slater S, Giovino GA, Chaloupka FJ. Surveillance of tobacco industry retail marketing activities of reduced harm products. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2008;10:187-193.
- Giovino GA. The Tobacco Epidemic in the United States. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2007;33(6S):S318-S326.
- Giovino GA. Could Nutritional Factors Influence the Development and Maintenance of Addiction to Nicotine? Chapter 9 in: J.E. Henningfield, P.B. Santora, & W.K. Bickel (Eds.) Addiction Treatment in the 21st Century: Science and Policy Issues. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press, pp. 77-83, 2007.
- O’Connor RJ, Giovino GA, Kozlowski LT, Shiffman S, Hyland A, Bernert JT, Caraballo RS, Cummings KM. Changes in Nicotine Intake and Cigarette Consumption over Two Nationally Representative Cross-Sections of Smokers. American Journal of Epidemiology2006;164:750-759.
- Pickett MS, Schober SE, Brody DJ, Curtin LR, Giovino GA. Smoke-Free Laws and Secondhand Smoke Exposure in US Nonsmoking Adults, 1999-2002. Tobacco Control2006;15:302-307.
- Fong GT, Cummings KM, Borland R, Hastings G, Hyland A, Giovino GA, Hammond D, Thompson ME. The Conceptual Framework of the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Policy Evaluation Project. Tobacco Control 2006;15(Suppl III):iii3-iii11.
Global Tobacco Surveillance Advisory Group; New York State Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Program Advisory Board; Editorial Board – Tobacco Control; Expert Advisor to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health; Evaluation Task Force of the California Tobacco Control Program; Reviewer for various journals (e.g., Addiction; American Journal of Epidemiology; American Journal of Preventive Medicine; American Journal of Public Health; Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention; Health Education Research; Nicotine & Tobacco Research; Preventive Medicine; Public Health Reports; Tobacco Control).